As God’s children, we are not to be like those who are “looking down” in hopelessness, discouragement, or despair. Also, we are not to be like those who are “looking around” and becoming caught up in the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches. Instead, we are to be like those who are “looking up” with the eyes of faith, fixed upon God, awaiting the return of His Son.
The return of Jesus Christ is a sure and certain promise, and it is our glorious and blessed hope.
May the following promises help to keep you pressing on with an upward look and an inward expectation:
- Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near. Luke 21:28 NKJV
- And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of His return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to His appearing. 2 Timothy 4:8 NLT
- For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpof God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words. 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 KJV
- Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory. Colossians 3:2-4 NKJV
- But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. You are all sons of light and sons of the day. 1 Thessalonians 5:4-5 NKJV
- For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him. Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing. 1 Thessalonians 5:9-11 NKJV